Tuesday 12 January 2016

Abies Myth Debunked

In early January, a couple of hikes on neighbours' properties revealed a number of Abies lasiocarpa that I didn't even know were there. Embarrassingly, one is not more than 150 feet from my main rock garden - in fact you can see the garden from the base of the tree!

More importantly, the trees I have found have been on sloped sites and flat sites, and in both full sun and shade. Recall that in September, 2015, I reported that these trees only seemed to grow at the base of North-facing slopes in full shade (the name of the blog entry was "What Will I Find, Where the Sun Don't Shine"). Well that is apparently not the case.

It's amazing what I learn when I open my eyes and look around!


Abies lasiocarpa (on the right) on an East facing hillside about 400m from the house.


Another abies lasiocarpa on an East facing hillside about 400m from the house.


Close-up of the foliage. This one is in full afternoon sun.


I think this is the same one. At any rate, A. lasiocarpa at the same site


Abies lasiocarpa (on the left) on an East facing hillside about 400m from the house.


This one is spitting distance from the house! I have walked right by it on several occasions, and failed to notice!


Close-up of that one's foliage.

No comments:

Post a Comment